Mmmm… fruit… cake… need I say more? A pineapple upside-down cake is not only delicious, but it makes a great presentation to really impress your guests. It’s called upside down cake because it uses a curved-bottom pan that is turned over once cooked and allowed to cool. It is also eaten in an upside down manner. Because it’s such a moist cake, you have to handle it with care; some fragments can remain attached to the pan, but once you get the hang of it you’ll churn them out like a pro.
Obviously, a pineapple upside down cake is made up of pineapple, but other fruits can also be added as toppings to enhance flavor, such as sliced apples and cherries. The fruits will form the toppings hence should be placed decoratively. Here are the tips in making a pineapple upside down cake.
You have got to try this recipe if you love pineapple and cake, or if you’ve never tried them together!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Yield: 6–8 servings
- 16 oz can pineapple, sliced1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp almonds
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- Start with the caramel toppings. Get a saucepan, pour in the brown sugar and butter then subject to a low heat burner. Wait until the sugar and the butter dissolves. Properly mix and combine the two. Wait until bubbles start to appear on the mixture before removing.
- Get a cake pan, and carefully pour in the mixture. Get the pineapple slices then properly arranged them on top of the sugary-caramel mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Get a medium-sized bowl then pour in the all-purpose flour and cake flour, baking powder, almonds and salt then whisk together.
- Using an electric mixer put the sugar and butter in a separate bowl. Add on the cream, eggs and vanilla, and then beat together. Once you have prepared the cake batter. Pour them over the caramel and pineapple pan that you have prepared ahead.
- Carefully place the pan in the oven and bake 1 hr 15 minutes. Check to see if the cake is done by inserting a knife
- When done, remove the cake pan from the oven then allow cooling for about 10-15 minutes. Carefully turn the cake pan upside down in a clean platter, remove the cake.