- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 1/4 – 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons Bakewell cream
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening or butter
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 4 pats of salted butter
- Heavy whipping cream
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Be sure your oven rack is in the center of the oven.
- Remove the strawberry tops and halve the larger berries, then add them to a large mixing bowl. Rough chop or smash them with a pastry dough blender, then mix in the sugar (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to taste. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Add flour, Bakewell cream, baking soda, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Using the pastry dough blender, cut in the shortening or butter, then add the milk and vanilla bean paste and mix until just combined with a fork (or your hands).
- The dough will be fairly sticky. Scoop out the dough with a large ice cream scoop into 4 evenly-sized biscuits and space out on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for 5 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the biscuits in the oven for 5 minutes more until golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and split each biscuit in half. Spread each side with some butter while the biscuits are warm, then arrange in the dishes split sides up, two halves to each dish, spoon strawberries over the top, and pour heavy cream around the edges of the dish to encircle the biscuit and berries.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.