Combining favorite fall flavors with sparkling cider gives sangria a refreshing new spin. It couldn’t be easier to throw together yet it’s sure to impress at any Thanksgiving celebration.
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- 5 (3″) cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 (4″) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup), divided
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
- 1 Bartlett pear, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1 (750-ml) bottle pear or apple sparkling cider
- Bring pomegranate juice, cinnamon, allspice, and one-third of ginger to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let steep 10 minutes.
- Strain pomegranate mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher, reserving cinnamon sticks. Add wine, pear, pomegranate seeds, rum, cinnamon sticks, and remaining ginger and stir to combine. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- To serve, fill pitcher or punch bowl with ice and pour sangria over. Top with cider.
- Sangria, without ice or cider, can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.