Vegetarian Parsi Kebabs – Tempting Indian Deep Fried Delights!
- Boiled potatoes – 5 medium size
- Bread slices – 3
- Green chillies – 1 -2
- Salt to taste
- Dry mango powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Indian garam masala – ¼ teaspoon
- Dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Oil for frying the kebabs
- Boiled chana dal (bengal gram) – ½ cup
- Desiccated coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Cashews chopped – 4 – 5
- Raisins – 7-8
- Semolina – 2 tablespoons
- Take a bowl, mash boiled potatoes in it with the help of a potato masher or spatula.
- Add in all the dry spices and mix nicely to form a smooth mixture. Add in the dry fenugreek leaves.
- In a bowl of water, dip bread slices one by one, squeeze them with both the palms and drain the water from it and mix it into the mashed potatoes mixture. These act as a binder.
- Potato mixture is ready and now we need to prepare the stuffing for the Kebabs.
- Mix nicely the boiled/mashed Chana Dal, desiccated coconut and the chopped cashews and raisins.
- Make small balls from this mixture (size of a small lemon or a boiled egg yolk). These balls we will fill in the potato mixture.
- To make the Kebabs, take a little bigger size potato mixture ball in your palms and flatten it and fill it with the chana dal small balls and close the kebabs covering the chana dal yellow ball,to form an oval shape. Press gently with your palms.
- Roll these oval shaped Kebabs in the semolina flour before frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet and deep fry these kebabs, till golden brown on both the sides turning them gently.Fry them on medium to high flame.
- Serve hot with mint chutney.